Tuesday, February 7, 2012

G-Tube

Let's just say that I will never forget the day that the doctors came into Aine's room and said that she was not thriving and would need to have a G-tube & nissan placed. They discussed the order of the procedures with us (whether she should have her heart fixed first or the tube placed first.)
I was speechless (which if you know me, you know this is pretty hard to accomplish ;)
Number one - I had NO idea what a G-tube was or what a nissan was. Then they explained it & I was shocked that they would even think about doing something like this to my baby.
Number two - I knew she needed to thrive, so I think I would have agreed to pretty much anything at that point in time. When you have a baby who can't get past 3 Kg (6.6#'s & her birth weight was 6.1#'s) who is vomiting ALL the time, you just want it to STOP!
We told them to go ahead with the procedure when she was ready & have never looked back. Yes there have been the "easy" times, the difficult times, and the extremely difficult times - but we know that somehow it will all work out in the end. We all do what we have to do & this is what we have to do.

Now - the reason that I bring this crazy time up that seems soo long ago to me now is because I was looking for an easier way to clean Aine's feeding tubes and came across a wonderful website that I thougt I would share with everyone.
From what I've read to this point (which isn't a ton) it is wonderfully written & expresses many of the things I have discussed or have a hard time discussing.

I am working on adding a contact me button the blog but have to find a way to do it. If you know how, I would love information.

http://www.feedingtubeawareness.com/for-friends-family.html

No comments: