Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Swallow Study

For those that have not seen a swallow study, I'm sorry that you have never been able to see the amazing body work (or not work).

For those that have seen a swallow study, I'm sorry that you have had to watch the person you love go through one but hope that you found the same ahh in it that I do every time Aine has to have one done.

I've heard that there is this happy feeling that comes over a person as they watch the barium go down their throat and into their stomach, not into their lungs where it doesn't belong.

I've heard, never felt this happiness for Aine's most recent swallow study was a fail......

She was given applesauce with barium in it twice and aspirated it both times into her lungs.  No visible trace going into her stomach ):  they will be reviewing the film to see if any went into her stomach, but the multiple aspiration puts her back on the NPO list (nothing by mouth).

Now.... What does this mean for her future?  Really, just that nothing changes.  Se is still super lucky that she can sleep AND eat at the same time and not waste any precious calories eating.

I wish I could say more about it, but I don't have all the answers.  They don't know if it is because of the DiGeorge syndrome, lack of usage, palate issues, or neurological issues.  Maybe one day we will have more answers, but right now - it is what it is and we are blessed with every day whether it is filled with smiles or the case of the grumpies.


No comments: